Saturday, April 9, 2011

Greek Antipasto Salad recipe and buffet ramblings

Today's intake:
B: Fruit cup and unsweet tea: 50 cals
L: Buffet meal: Wonton soup (minus half the wonton and none of the filling) green beans, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, and about 3 bites of meat: 300-400 cals?I have NO idea.
D: About half a cup of the veg salad I made yesterday: 30cals

WHICH I realized I never posted! So, it is actually at the bottom of this post.

In other news, Chinese buffets are awful places.

Duh, I guess. But really...

I haven't actually been to one since college, when I was FAT fat, and I forgot how AWFUL they are. It's a buffet of despair. Cheap, sub-par food, an outdated visage, hefty customers, and guilt on every person's face.

My own included. And the bulimic inside of me was longing so desperately to go back for plate after plate after plate and then go throw it all up in the bathroom. If I had been alone, I would have done just that.

I hate buffets in a group environment. I love them when it's just myself and the hubby because he doesn't care what I eat, and I can pick at anything that looks healthy. But in a group, everyone always examines your choices, talks about trying everything, and looks at what you eat.

And the looks at my plate were questioning tonight.

What-ever.

Noel can keep her issues to herself. When it came time for dessert, she had to be talked into it, and it was OBVIOUS she wanted it. I don't even WANT these things anymore. The stress is too much for me and it becomes not worth it.

Speaking of stress, this weekend we're going to my mom and dad's house. It will be a nice getaway, and I'm excited because I'm getting some plants from my grandmother for our yard AND a birdbath!

My only concern is that sometimes it's hard to control the eating that much at the rent's house... My mom and dad thing food equals love and that I'm too thin so food gets pushed on me a LOT. And I probably won't get to blog that much.

However, I'm trying to use this weekend as a motivation. I plan on weighing myself tomorrow morning and then when I get back. It would be awesome to see a scale dip, so we'll see!

Anyway, here's the recipe (also added to the link on the right navigation, as usual), and I hope you all have a fantastic weekend!

Greek Antipasto Salad
Ingredients:
3-4 medium sized zucchini
Garlic salt
1/2 red bell pepper
4-5 medium sized tomatoes
1 12 oz jar marinated artichoke heart quarters
1/4 cup fat free Italian dressing
About 6oz reduced fat Feta cheese

Dice the zucchini by cutting it into quarters lengthwise and then cutting into about 1 inch thick pieces. Toss them with some garlic salt and then sautee covered on medium heat in a non-stick pan about 15 minutes or until the zucchini is soft on the outside but still a little crisp inside.
Cool completely.
Finely dice the red pepper and cut the tomatoes into large chunks and add to the zucchini. Cut the stems off of the artichoke heart quarters and add them to the vegetables along with the salad dressing and feta cheese.
For best results, let marinate at least an hour before eating.
This recipe makes a huge amount though, so you may want to cut back the portions a bit.
This recipe yields approximately 60 calories per cup, depending on product selection.

It's absolutely delicious.

3 comments:

  1. Going back a few posts (sorry) about the job hunting and throwing away your potential - boy do I feel you on that. I used to top of my class in a top selective school. And now, all my classmates are doctors and lawyers, and I'm nothing. I have learnt all too well what it's like to spend hours on application after application without even so much as a reply...
    Like you I blame a male, or males... but really the fact that I devote 90% of my life to food and exercise is what meant everything went downhill once I turned 18. The need for male love and attention was a sideproduct of my ED - maybe for you too?
    Anyway, point is, if you were destined to be a high-flyer when you were younger that means it's STILL in you. You haven't changed - maybe circumstances have - but those can be changed back.
    I believe in perseverence. I haven't given up the dream that I'll go back to the city and shine like I grew up dreaming I would. Don't lose faith, someone will see your potential :)
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that salad recipe. It looks so yummy. Any idea on the calories? If not, that cool...I could always not be lazy and calculate it myself.

    ~MLM

    ReplyDelete
  3. frig ophelia's comment pumped me up big time, maybe it's not to late for me to switch careers, save myself from office hell.

    As I read your description of the chinese buffet evening it was almost like dejavu. the last time I went to a chinese buffet was like 2 years ago for my cousins bday and it was a hellish exerience. there WAS guilt written on everyone's face, except for my table because everyone was 18/19 and mostly guys so no one gave a crap about what anyone else ate.

    Thanks for the recipe, it is now on my list of new foods to try :)

    ~ H

    ReplyDelete