Thursday, February 11, 2010

Restricting and planning

I was contemplating letting myself eat an additional 50 cals today, but then I came to take a read at all of your blogs, and it was so inspiring... I have renewed will-power.

(Note: This entry is basically all about food, so if you don't want to read about it, don't read on.)

Today's cals:
Strawberries - 50 cals
Salad - 130 cals
Potato and broccoli frozen meal - 210
Total: 390
Plus 100 cals of something else later possibly, which would put me at 490.
Maybe just a rice cake and then I'm 70 cals under... We'll see when the hunger strikes how little I can get away with.

So lately, I've been finding that planning my meals spaced out is VERY helpful... The only problem has been blood sugar drops that make me want to pass out... So much so I need to find a way to boost it easily when I'm on the go... I was reading about jelly beans, and I think I'm going to get some because I don't particularly LIKE them, and they have relatively few calories per piece. I'm currently doing some research on what I can do to boost my blood sugar...

BUT, I've been timing my meals so that I know when it's coming so that I don't eat too many calories and have nothing left to consume later... My biggest dilema is that with work sometimes I can't control my schedule...

I would like to potentially adopt this schedule:
Meal 1: 50 cals (Fruit or some honey tea or yogurt.) 11:30am
Meal 2: 100 cals (Salad or vegetables, cereal or oatmeal.) 2:30pm
Meal3: 200 cals (Something with protein that's filling, salad with chicken, etc.) 6:30pm
Meal4: 50 cals (Rice cake, fruit, vegetables, something I can take to work.) 8:30pm
Meal5: 100 cals (Popcorn, tostado, tuna, etc. Whatever I feel like when I get home.) 10:30pm
This seems late, but the deal is that I stay up until about 2:30 am (Notice breakfast is 11:30am... When you work nights, your schedule seems lazyyy.)

The past couple days I've been doing this, and the smaller meals and controlling what I eat really helps... We'll try it on a work day and see how it goes... I'm just nervous about controlling myself well on work days... I'm kind of a vulture at work, scarfing up any remnant I can find... Augh... So much easier at home when all I have to do is sit on the couch and rest if I get tired...

We'll see tomorrow though.

In other news, I'm always on the lookout for EASY meals that are arounf 200 cals for my "big" meal of the day every day, and lately I have found some VERY satisfying meals... Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones have a lot of them if you like frozen meals. (I do because I'm always eating dinner at work.) Some of them have like 400 cals, so you have to be careful, but the nice thing about them is that the calories are right on the front of the box, so all I have to do it stand in one spot with the freezer door shut and glance at each box to see. Cheexy potatoes and broccoli, vegetarian ravioli, broccoli alfredo, etc. I used to think it was a gross waste, but when you read the nutrition stats, they are actually pretty good for you and yummy. (If you avoid the gross pressed meat ones. Ew.)

I've also been a huge fan of ready-made salads in the produce/deli area lately... They have nutrition info on the back, and there's a chicken cesear one and a raspberry walnut one I get that are to DIE for... It's nice to have a complete SALAD and not have to worry about hidden calories or counting up all the calories myself when I make one at home.

BUT anyway, hope I didn't trigger anyone to go eat something they weren't planning on... If you couldn't tell, I went to the grocery story today. Ha!

Think thin, ladies!

2 comments:

  1. Haha you didn't trigger me, although I might have a few cravings for popcorn and strawberries now! I think i'm gonna have some popcorn tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem with my blood sugar! I carry around a bag of dried cranberries-- same deal. If you eat just a few, it works like a charm and hardly any calories. Always my fall back.

    ReplyDelete